Many homeowners wait until they notice an obvious problem with their roof before they call on a roofing and remodeling company for help with roof repairs. These problems can have a variety of different causes, but the most important question should be not what those causes are, but whether you need a simple repair or a complete roof replacement. What are the signs your home needs a new roof?
What to Look Out For
Below are some of the biggest indicators that you should plan for a roof replacement rather than roof repairs.
- The age of the roof. Most roofs will last between 20 and 25 years when maintained properly, though if a new roof is laid down over an existing one, its lifespan will generally be shorter. If your roof is approaching the 20-year mark and was installed over the previous roof, it’s likely that you’ll need a new roof.
- Curled or buckled shingles. If you notice that shingles which receive direct sunlight are curling, buckling or have lost a lot of granules, this is another clear sign that a new roof might be in your future. Your shingles may be past their life expectancy, or you could have a defective roof. A licensed roofing contractor can help determine if you’re eligible for reimbursement due to this issue.
- Missing shingles. One of the most obvious signs that a new roof is required is the absence of a number of shingles from your roof due to storm damage.
- Chimney flashing. Leaks often occur around chimneys and other roof penetrations. If the flashing around your chimney is composed of tar or roof cement, it may need to be replaced with a long-term solution: a watertight metal flashing system.
- Granule buildup in the gutters. Shingles tend to shed granules much more easily toward the end of their lifespan. If your gutters are loaded with granules or there are discolored patches on some parts of your roof, these are evidence that the granules are wearing away, leaving the shingles exposed to the elements.
- Inadequate ventilation. In order to maintain a healthy roof structure, you must have proper attic ventilation to control heat and moisture in the attic. Otherwise, you could suffer from ice dams in the winter or a buildup of heat and moisture in summer, which could lead to rust, mold and mildew, rot, and more.
Call Callen for Expert Service
In order to keep your roofing system healthy and strong, you need the help of a competent professional, especially if there are signs your home needs a new roof. For assistance with a roof repair, replacement, or another exterior remodeling project, call Callen at 414-529-5509 or complete our online form today.