As technology evolves, new types of window glazing are regularly created, resulting in windows that are more energy-efficient with each passing year. These energy-saving coatings help insulate, reflect heat, and block damaging UV rays, while still letting in plenty of light.
With these delicate coatings covering most of the new windows on the market today, it’s more crucial than ever that homeowners properly maintain their windows and patio doors to get the most out of the products they’re investing in. Follow these tips from the #1 remodeling company, Callen Construction, when cleaning your window glass to get the best performance from your windows.
- Ditch conventional cleaners. Instead of purchasing chemical-laden commercial cleaners to clean your glass, instead use a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar, or good old soapy water. Rinse thoroughly with clean water, then use a rubber squeegee or a soft microfiber cloth to dry the glass to prevent water spots.
- Choose clouds over sun. Direct sunlight can cause cleaners to dry on the windows as you’re cleaning them, leaving behind streaks. To avoid this, try to wash your windows and doors on cool, cloudy days.
- Don’t forget the screens. You definitely don’t want dirty screens covering sparkling clean windows. To clean your window screens, use a soft brush attachment to vacuum them off. This can be done while the screens are in position on the windows, or you can remove them and lay them out on a clean, level surface. For a deeper clean, soapy water and a soft brush can be used. After cleaning, just rinse, dry, and reinstall.
- Never use sharp or abrasive objects when cleaning glass. These include steel wool, razor blades, metal scrapers, abrasive pads or cleaners, or any items that could scratch the glass or damage the finish of the window surface.
- Avoid using pressure washers. Pressure washers and other power sprayers have the potential to damage gaskets, seals, and other window and door components, so never use high-pressure sprayers when cleaning your glass.
Call Callen for Expert Window Replacement
If you’ve been considering investing in more energy-efficient windows, Callen has everything you need for a successful window replacement project. Call Callen today at 414-765-2585 to find out more.