Changing colors, football games, and moderate weather – it’s hard not to love Wisconsin in the fall. Before it gets too cold outside, take advantage of getting your house in shape for the winter months ahead.
- Check the foundation for cracks and caulk around the areas where pipes or wires enter the house and around window and door frames to prevent heat from escaping.
- Install storm windows and doors.
- Inspect the roof for missing or loose shingles.
- Check the exterior walls of the house for chipped paint, which is a sign that it can no longer protect the siding of the building.
- Clean out the gutters.
- Weather-strip your garage to prevent drafts and keep out small animals.
- Schedule an appointment to have your furnace checked and serviced to avoid potential problems when you need your heat the most.
- Test and change the batteries in your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors.
- Check basement windows for drafts, loose frames, or cracked panes.
- Clean your humidifiers to prevent bacteria growth.
- Clean out your air conditioner to prevent rusting.
Yard and Garden
- Rake the leaves from your lawn.
- Prune plants and trees.
- Organize your garage and clean and store your summer gardening tools.
- Check to see that your snow equipment is up-and-running
- Drain garden hoses and store them inside.
- Turn off your sprinkler system.
- Inspect and fill bird feeders.
Porch and Deck
- Check the supports, stairs, and railings to make sure they can support someone when it’s covered with snow or ice.
- Clean porch and deck furniture and store it in a protected area.
- Empty soil from all pots and planters.
If you come across a problem and need assistance, call Callen at 414-765-2585 to schedule a no-obligation consultation for window or door replacement, gutter protection installation, roofing and siding updates, or any other service.